Exhibition preview “Vitaliano VI. The Invention of Isola Bella”: a look at the fourth section
The Salone of Palazzo Borromeo, from the project idea by Vitaliano VI to its final realisation by Vitaliano X
The fourth section of the exhibition “Vitaliano VI. The Invention of Isola Bella”, the final one of the exhibition itinerary, guides us in the exploration of the Salone Nuovo [New Hall] of the Island, which is also the space that hosts the exhibition. The Salone was the object of a lengthy planning process: between 1686 and 1688 the architects Andrea Biffi, Filippo Cagnola and Carlo Fontana attempted to interpret the ambitions of Count Vitaliano VI Borromeo, who imagined an environment with a dome, inspired by the plan of the Basilica of San Lorenzo in Milan, one of the oldest churches in the city.
The grand ideas and proposals set down on paper in a series of valuable drawings are on display here for the first time in a systematic way. The initial idea of building a Hall of Honour dates back to 1662, but the work on the construction of this wing of the building begin several years afterwards, following a planning phase that lasted a number of years. In 1690 the death of Vitaliano VI led to a stopping of the work, which had only been conducted on the perimeter walls, as can be observed from the photographs on display.
Between the 18th and 19th centuries the Borromeos attempted to bring the work to a conclusion; in the 20th century the environment acquired its definitive form, implemented by Vitaliano X, who created the Salone and its Baroque-style decorations between 1948 and 1960.
The evolution of the project leading up to its current structure is recounted through a significant number of sketches and studies of details and decorations,.
A spectacular wooden model of the central hall of Palazzo Borromeo can also be admired in the exhibition; this was created between 1780 and 1781 by carpenter Giuseppe Antonio Oltolina from a project by Cosimo Morelli, an architect from Imola. The model, completely original, has been studied and restored and is presented to the public for the first time on this occasion. Its fir wood structure is covered in walnut for all the decorative details, both inside and outside.
Main sponsor Aon