28 November 2022
Terre Borromeo: record results for the 2022 season
Stresa, 24 November 2022 – The 2022 season closes with record results for the tourism and cultural sites of the Terre Borromeo circuit on Lago Maggiore. Over 916,000 admissions registered altogether for Isola Bella, Isola Madre, Parco Pallavicino in Stresa and, on the Lombard side, Rocca di Angera. The figure betters even the best pre-Covid seasons with a growth of over 5% compared to 2019, the year that is considered as that of reference before the global emergency caused by the pandemic. The figure has almost tripled (+167%) compared to 2020 and nearly doubled compared to 2021 (+99%).
The results underline a number of trends. A growth in national presences, represented by 54% of admissions, with a significant incidence of local tourism. But also the return of tourists from abroad: the remaining 46% is composed of a majority of French (40%) and Germans (29%), with a sizable number of presences, followed by the USA, Switzerland, the UK and the Netherlands.
We have seen the emergence of a significant increase in private visitors, compared to group visits, which are probably still penalised by certain international limitations dictated by the health emergency. The results indicate a tendency to want to travel in couples, as a family or with friends, organising a made-to- measure experience, with complete relaxation as regards timescales and preferences. This trend is confirmed by the excellent results of the complementary services of dining and lodging proposed by the company. In the sphere of the food offer, sales have increased by 158% compared to 2019, also taking into account the investments made in the last three years, first with the La Piratera restaurant on Isola Madre and this year with Il Delfino.
As regards hospitality in the six “Isola Bella Apartments”, the figures are more positive both for sales – more than double those for 2019 and almost triple those for 2021 – and for the occupancy rate, this year 42% compared with 29% for 2019. The data show the continuous growth of guests choosing the ancient fishermen’s village on Isola Bella for a stay with authenticity as the watchword. The apartments, which in 2018 consisted of two dwellings, are a strategic point of departure for the discovery of the numerous beauties of the territory’s historical, artistic and natural heritage.
Analysing the individual destinations in particular, Isola Bella is the most visited site of Terre Borromeo: with more than 483,000 admissions it accounts for 53% of the group’s entire result. The growth of Isola Madre is interesting, with over 253,000 visitors (approx. +12% compared to 2019 and +110% compared to last year). The performance of Parco Pallavicino has also been excellent (113,000 admissions), with a 23% increase compared to 2019 and 46% compared to 2021. Finally, the Rocca di Angera has not yet reached 2019 levels (-10%), but with more than 66,000 admissions it has overtaken 2021 (+60%).
The same trend is being followed by the Mottarone Adventure Park: this year the amusement park immersed in the natural setting of Parco del Mottarone has exceeded the numbers of all previous seasons with 5,900 admissions.
“The figures highlight not only a clearcut recovery after the fall in numbers in the last two years due to the pandemic, but also an increase on pre-Covid values. We are very satisfied with having invested in projects to relaunch local tourism in the territory, with positive effects on the influx of people”, comments entrepreneur Vitaliano Borromeo. “We are now looking to the future with new initiatives that we are developing to further extend the network of quality attractions and services that are making Lago Maggiore a cultural pole of excellence”.
Following this trajectory, Terre Borromeo will work on future projects during the traditional period of closure in which energies are devoted to the maintenance of the buildings and gardens, in expectation of reopening on 16 March 2023, closing on November 5th. Among the innovations, the Ala Scaligera at the Rocca di Angera will return to hosting a contemporary art exhibition and the attractions for youngsters will be expanded at the Mottarone Adventure Park. Furthermore, the ambitious project for the restoration of the Castles of Cannero continues, and in the coming years they will enrich the cultural offer of Lago Maggiore with a new museum.